3/17/10

Networking Events

Do you use networking events to further your business?

I never have before, but I recently moved across the country & needed a way to meet new people. There are lots of networking groups here in Colorado that I've found so far & I've learned a few things by attending. I've only attended women's groups so far as they seem less intimidating to me. I'm certainly not an expert, but thought I'd pass along the few things I've picked up along the way:

1. Be Memorable! Instead of taking just business cards, I carry little boxes that have a tealight sample in it along with my business card. It helps people stop & take notice of me. I even had one lady tell me she saw all these people with little boxes & so she was looking for the person who was handing them out.

2. Connect! Rather than just handing out your business card to 50 people, stop and connect with them. Have a real conversation & find a connection, something you have in common or that you can do to help each other.

3. Give! Always look for ways that you can help the other person in their business. Maybe your products or services can help or maybe you know someone you can refer them to or refer to them.

4. Realize that every person isn't going to be a golden contact for you. I figure if I can get one or two new contacts that I can really connect & plan on future business with then it was worth it to me.

5. Follow Up! Send an e-mail or make a phone call the next day. Find them on facebook, visit their website or subscribe to their newsletter. Connecting after the event is what is going to build your business, so spend some time cultivating your new relationships & find out how you can help each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment